The meeting was held over the internet via a Zoom video conference. The following people were present:
|Name||Call Sign||Position||MH Grid||WCARC||RAC|
|Lawrence Dobranski||VA3IQ||Vice President||FN25||Yes||Yes|
|Rémi De Cristofaro||VA3DRI||Member||FN25||Yes||Yes|
The meeting was opened by the President, Charles (VA3CPY) at 7:12 pm. There were no visitors attending the meeting.
Bert (VE2ZAZ) posted a draft version of the November 2022 meeting minutes on the Club website prior to this meeting. Moved by him that the minutes be adopted as posted on the website. Seconded by Rémi (VA3DRI). The motion was carried.
The Treasurer was absent. However he provided this report by email prior to the meeting:
As of November 30, we had $2491.46 in our bank account. This is an increase of $35.10 over last month. I deposited $35.00 from a member’s payment of his dues ($30.00) plus a donation of $5.00. An additional $0.10 was earned in interest. There is also $2,000 which is split up into two term deposits. One has a maturity date of August 21st, 2023. The other will mature on October 21st, 2023. Finally, we have $15.00 in our “share account.”
Vice President’s Report
- Meeting presentations in planning:
- January 2023: Mike (VA3TEC) will talk about Digital Amateur Television (DATV)
- February 2023: Bert (VE2ZAZ) will describe his modernized HyGain TailTwister rotator controller
- March 2023: Ray (VE3FN) will present his 10 GHz station
- WCARC member badge: A prototype design of the badge was shown to the attendees. The badge will have red marking on a white background. It will include the WCARC logo.
- WCARC Winter day: Lawrence reached the conservation area superintendent. He will visit the site and come back with a an event date soon.
- Nothing to report.
For the annual report, Charles listed the 2022 Club highlights. The report is filed as a separate document, and is available for consultation on the Club website: 2022 Annual Report
According to the Club’s constitution, two positions, namely Vice-President and Treasurer, are scheduled to be elected during this meeting.
- Vice-President: No one came forward as new candidate for the Vice President position. Moreover, Lawrence (VA3IQ) accepted to carry on with the Vice President duties. He is thus re-elected for another term as Vice President by acclamation.
- Treasurer: No one came forward as new candidate for the Treasurer position. Since the outgoing Treasurer, Ray (VE3FN), is absent and has not indicated whether he would accept to carry on with the Treasurer duties, the election for that position is deferred to the January 2023 meeting.
None, since this is the Annual General Meeting.
- 902/1296 MHz Beacons: Bert (VE2ZAZ) received an update email from Phil (VE3HOA). He, along with a few other Almonte ARC executives, got in touch and met with the new YMCA facilities manager, Peter Townsend. The manager confirmed that it would be a few years before anything happens with the YMCA building. We are therefore welcome to leave our equipment in place and in operation until we absolutely need to get out. Access to the site is as simple as contacting the manager prior to any visit. Clayton (VE3IRR) suggested that we check the operational status of the two beacons.
- 432 MHz Yagi Antenna procurement: No update. Bert (VE2ZAZ) will contact Ken (VA3KA) in March to remind him of our needs. Ken will have two 432 MHz long boom yagis for sale in the spring.
- WCARC badges: A prototype badge was shown. See the Vice President’s report.
- WCARC Winter POTA (Parks On The Air): Lawrence (VA3IQ) proposed a one-day activation at the Baxter Conservation Area shelter. The progress in detailed in the Vice President’s report section.
- 2023 June VHF Contest: Since all agreed that we should hold the 2023 ARRL June VHF contest event, Bert (VE2ZAZ) proposed that he reserve the Corkery Community building for the weekend of June 9th-12th. Hopefully, the renovation work on the building will be over by that weekend.
Show and tell
- Karen (VA3IGO) discussed her saga on the procurement of a Screwdriver antenna.
- Bert (VE2ZAZ) reported back on his experience during the 2022 ARRL 10m Contest.
- Mike (VA3TEC) showed his hand-made 1.2 GHz loop yagi. He received some comments and suggestions from other attendees.
- Mike (VE3MKX) showed a Xiegu X6100 HF QRP rig. He reported liking it a lot.
Ask the Club
No questions were asked.
The President observed that there was no further business; the meeting was adjourned at 8:45 pm.