The meeting was held over the internet via a Zoom video conference. The following people were present:
|Name||Call Sign||Position||MH Grid||WCARC||RAC|
|Lawrence Dobranski||VA3IQ||Vice President||FN25||Yes||Yes|
The meeting was opened by the President, Charles (VA3CPY) at 7:10 pm. There was one visitor attending the meeting.
Bert (VE2ZAZ) posted a draft version of the August 2023 meeting minutes on the Club website prior to this meeting. Moved by him that the minutes be adopted as posted on the website. Seconded by Lawrence (VA3IQ). The motion was carried.
- Ray (VE3FN) did not present a Treasurer’s update, as he had not received the August 2023 bank report until now.
Vice President’s Report
Lawrence (VA3IQ) informed the members of the following upcoming meeting presentations:
- Meeting presentations already scheduled:
- October 2023: René (VE2UG) - 47, 78 and 122 GHz 3D-printed antennas.
- Meeting presentations in planning:
- Paul (W1GHZ) - Subject and date to be determined.
- Ham Radio Science Citizen Investigation. The presentation will be given by a Ph. D. student.
- The Codec 2 HF Voice codec. One of the creators will make a presentation.
The director was absent.
- The Club had a table at the Carp hamfest held on September 9th. We received good feedback from the many who visited us. Mike (VA3TEC) had an operational demo of Digital Television over ham radio, and it attracted a lot of interest. The Club should plan to have a table also at the Iroquois and Smiths Falls hamfests in the spring. We could plan for a 10 GHz demo, or even 24 GHz police radar demo at these events.
- There will be a Simulated Emergency Test in October. “Operation Dark Skies” will be held in two parts on October 14 and October 16. Those interested in participating should consult the RAC website.
Dennis (WA4LPR): INTRFIL - Round rod inter-digital filtering construction software.
- 903/1296 MHz Beacons: Bert (VE2ZAZ), Phil Lytle (VE3HOA) and Nick Shepherd (VE3OWV) installed our 903.360 MHz and 1296.060 MHz CW beacons at the Diefenbunker site, next to our other existing beacons. Bert will publish the micro-controller source code for the beacons on our Club’s GitHub repository.
- Lawrence (VA3IQ): The Club’s interest in providing advice on emergency communications to the Galetta Community Association Emergency Planning Committee. Lawrence reached out to the president of the emergency preparedness committee. Members of the committee have not contacted him back yet. A discussion on that matter between the Club Officers will then take place once they know more. The board will report back to the members at a future meeting.
- Monthly meeting room: Lawrence (VA3IQ) is suggesting to hold in-person meetings once every few months. A Saturday meeting is another possibility. He is also looking at organizing a Christmas event for the Annual General meeting.
- No new business.
Show and tell
- Ray (VE3FN) showed an audio clip of his participation in the ARRL 10 GHz and Up contest up on Mont-Tremblant, Québec.
- Bert (VE2ZAZ) announced that he had begun the construction of a 10GHz transverter with dish antenna. He will document his progress in YouTube videos. Watch the WCARC Facebook page for new video releases. Bert’s YouTube channel is named “VE2ZAZ”.
- Bert (VE2ZAZ) has documented two projects he had previously talked about at monthly meetings: A smart antenna switch controller and a modern HyGain rotator controller. Both projects are now detailed on his website at ve2zaz.net.
- Clayton (VE3IRR): The BSides Ottawa conference will take place in Kanata on October 26th and 27th. Once again, Clayton will be involved in organizing the competition.
- Clayton (VE3IRR): GNU Radio Capture the flag competition in Phoenix, AZ was a great success. Sixty teams participated in the competition.
Ask the Club
No questions were asked.
The President observed that there was no further business; the meeting was adjourned at 8:54pm.