The meeting was held over the internet via a Zoom video conference. The following people were present:
|Name||Call Sign||Position||MH Grid||WCARC||RAC|
|Lawrence Dobranski||VA3IQ||Vice President||FN25||Yes||Yes|
The meeting was opened by the President, Charles (VA3CPY) at 7:08 pm. There were five visitors attending the meeting.
- Bert (VE2ZAZ) posted a draft version of the August 2022 meeting minutes on the Club website prior to this meeting. Moved by him that the minutes be adopted as posted on the website. Seconded by Glenn (VE3XRA). The motion was carried.
- The balance as of August 31st was $2,366.16. This statement doe not reflect that a cheque for $50.00 (for gasoline expenses associated with the June VHF contest) has not yet been cashed. We also received $60 from two new members. There is also $2,000 which is split up into two term deposits. One has a maturity date of August 21st, 2023. The other one will mature on October 21st, 2022. We also have $15 in our “share accounts.”
- There are 20 members as of today. There are also three life members.
- One more person has asked to join the Club. The officers have agreed to issue him a membership that extends through 2023.
Vice President’s Report
- At the October meeting: The speaker has cancelled his participation. The replacement speaker and topic will be announced later.
- At the November meeting, we will have a presentation by Ham Radio Science Citizen Investigation. The presentation will be given by a PhD student.
- In planning:
- A presentation on the technical side of POTA, such as recommendations on radios and antennas
- A presentation on transatlantic 2m communications
- Nothing to report.
- We had a Club table at the Carp Hamfest. We used the Club projector and had posters showing pictures and Club information. As a result, one new member joined the Club during the event.
Dennis Whalen (KC3EJA) - Parks On The Air (POTA).
- Karen provided pictures of the beacon move to Lee Boltwood, the owner of our former beacon site. This was to highlight her contribution to the Club operations. She was very appreciative of that. She was also very interested in the new beacon location.
- 903/1296 Beacons: Bert will contact Ying (VA3YH) again to see whether the beacons can be recovered from the YMCA site soon. We could re-install the beacons at our main beacon site, on a mast that is in reserve on location. The DC supply would come from our existing beacon box.
- Charles (VA3CPY): We must find a 432 antenna. Bert (VE2ZAZ) informed the members that Ken (VA3KA), a Club member, will soon be taking down his ham radio antenna farm. Bert will contact Ken to find out whether he has one UHF long boom antenna to sell. Otherwise we will have to purchase one. Lawrence (VA3IQ) is planning an antenna purchase from M2 Antennas. We could combine the shipping with his order and save money.
- Lawrence (VA3IQ) is proposing a WCARC name tag group purchase. Dominion Rubber Stamp & Engraving will make them. He will get a quote on badges and look for interested members at the next meeting. The cost will be approximately $10 ea.
Show and tell
- Glenn (VE3XRA) showed pictures and videos of Ray (VE3FN)’s trip to Mont Tremblant during the ARRL Microwave contest.
- Mike (VE3MKX) showed an unbuilt Ten-Tec Desk Microphone kit.
- Bert (VE2ZAZ) showed an AM/SSB Citizen MPL-5 CB Radio.
- Clayton (VE3IRR) announced the upcoming GNU Radio conference. It will take place from September 26th to the 30th.
Ask the Club
No questions were asked.
The President observed that there was no further business; the meeting was adjourned at 9:20 pm.