The meeting was held at the Sobey’s in Kanata (March Rd. location). The following people were present:
|Name||Call Sign||Position||MH Grid||RAC||WCARC|
|Doug Leach||VE3XK||Vice President||FN25bf||Yes||Yes|
The meeting was opened by the President, Clayton Smith (VE3IRR), at 19:03 hours. 4 visitors were in attendance.
Randy (VE3AX) introduced the minutes of the February meeting posted on the WCARC website. One change was requested by Doug (VE3XK). Randy moved that the minutes be approved as amended. The motion was seconded by Doug. The motion was carried.
We have 22 paid up members and $4690.51 in the bank. $3000 has been invested in a term deposit.
Vice President’s Report
The speaker tonight is Rich (VE3KI) and the subject is “Panoramic Spectrum Displays for Amateur Transceivers.”
Items for club purchases:
Doug (VE3XK) introduced the following motions for item purchases:
- Doug moved that the club purchase a DSEFO222 222 MHz antenna for an amount not to exceed $325. The motion was seconded by Randy (VE3AX). Motion was carried.
- Doug moved that the club purchase a DSE2345LYK 1296 MHz antenna for an amount not to exceed $240. The motion was seconded by Luc (VE3JGL). Motion was carried.
- Doug moved that the club purchase an AAI2061SA Vector Analyzer for an amount not to exceed $450. The motion was seconded by Glenn (VE3XRA). Motion was carried.
- Doug moved that the club purchase the RF Explorer WSUB1G+ Spectrum Analyzer for an amount not to exceed $275. The motion was seconded by Peter (VA3PJ). Motion was carried.
Reports / Project Updates
The beacons are all working fine. Clayton (VE3IRR) gave an update on the 2m WSPR beacon that Bert is working on.
Nothing new to report.
Jeremy (VA3ZTF) proposed in writing a motion to modify the bylaws in order to change how the club can spend money and the amount limits:
Expenditures should be approved in advance, and prior to the actual expenditure. Single expenditures up to $200 may be approved by 2 Signing Officers and disclosed at the next general meeting. Expenditures exceeding $200 shall require approval by a majority of the members at a general meeting. Expenditures exceeding $500 shall require 2 weeks’ notice prior to discussion at a general meeting following which a majority vote will be held at the next general meeting.
A discussion followed with the members present at the meeting and if anyone has comments or suggestions they can email Jeremy directly and it can be discussed at the next meeting.
Jeremy (VA3ZTF) suggested that the club finance and install a BBHN node at the Diefenbunker.
Brian (VE3UU) suggested that we look at moving the club’s group on Yahoo to Groups.io.
Doug (VE3XK) asked if members would be interested in borrowing the club VNA and Spectrum Analyzer.
Announcements / Show & Tell
- Randy (VE3AX) mentioned that EDI on Baseline has 24 GHz dishes for sale.
- Chris (VE3CBK) showed magnetic switches that he put in enclosures.
- Glenn (VE3XRA) mentioned there was an Amateur station displayed at the Aviation Museum during March break. He also mentioned the Canada-Wide Science Fair happening in May.
- Tyler (VA3DGN) mentioned that there were Raspberry Pi activities at the Science Museum March 3rd and 10th.
- Randy (VE3AX) mentioned the NEWS VHF conference in Manchester, CT being held in April, and also asked if anyone was interested in getting PC boards from W1GHZ.
- Glenn (VE3XRA) asked if anyone was interested in getting PC board log feeds as he was getting some delivered at the conference.
The President observed that there being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 20:54.