The meeting was held in the Kanata Room in Sobey's, at the SW corner of Hazeldean and Terry Fox Drive in Kanata.

The following people were present:

NameCall SignPositionMH GridRACWCARC
Dean DenterVA3CDDMemberFN15wlYesYes
Ken AsmusVA3KAMemberFN15wgYesYes
Peter JagoVA3PJMemberFN25agYesYes
Bert ZauharVE2ZAZDirectorFN25bkYesYes
Dave GoodwinVE3AAQMemberFN25dgYesYes
Graham IdeVE3BYTMemberFN25chYesYes
Wayne GetchellVE3CZOMemberFN25YesYes
Andrew HartVE3NVKTreasurerFN25bhYesYes
Clayton SmithVE3IRRActing PresidentFN25aiYesYes
Margaret TidmanVA3VXNVisitorFN25aiYes
Tyler TidmanVA3DGNVisitorFN25aiYes
Clare FowlerVE3NPCMemberFN25djYesYes
Paul BoltwoodVE3PLEMemberFN25bgYesYes
Doug LeachVE3XKMemberFN25wgYesYes
Dave ConnVE3KLVisitorFN25Yes
Kieran ShepherdVA3KSMemberFN25djYesYes

Meeting Opening

The meeting was opened at 19h30 by Acting President Clayton Smith (VE3IRR), referred to as the President in these minutes.

Secretary's Report

Secretary Glenn (VE3XRA) was absent and Bert(VE2ZAZ) filled in for Glenn. The June and August Meeting minutes were reviewed.

For the June meeting, Marcus Leech's callsign should be VE3MDL, not DML. John VE3IAO's callsign needs to be corrected in the text

Doug (VE3XK) proposed that the Minutes for June be adopted as amended. Ken (VA3KA) seconded the motion. The motion was adopted by all.

For the August meeting, no comments. Dave VE3AAQ moved that the Minutes for August be adopted as read. Doug VE3XK seconded the motion. Adopted by all.

Treasurer's Report

Teasurer Andy (VE3NVK) reported that the Club has cash in bank of $515.51. We need to pay the RAC liability insurance fee by December 1st. This will be discussed further at the November meeting.

The Grid Expedition expenses have not been claimed yet. Al (VO1NO) and Glenn incurred the expenditure and will presumably claim a refund from the Club in the near future.

Vice President's Report

Our meeting room has been booked for October and still to be confirmed for November.

President's Report

This is the first meeting hosted by Acting President Clayton (VE3IRR). Nothing to report.

Director's Report

Nothing to report.

Old Business


New Business

Industry Canada's proposal for a new Amateur Radio MF band was discussed. A draft letter has been prepared and shown to all by Clayton VE3IRR. This letter will be submitted in the name of the Club. Clayton moved that the letter be approved by the members. Dave VE3AAQ seconded the motion. Adopted by all. The letter may be viewed here:
WCARC comments regarding Canada Gazette, Part I, June 29, 2013, Notice Ref. No. SMSE-004-13: Consultation on Proposed Revisions to the Canadian Table of Frequency Allocations.

General Reports and Announcements:

OARC Hamfest in Carp (Sept. 7th):
Ken (VA3KA) advised the members that the Club table will not be staffed unless there is a volunteer. The table will be located right next to Ken's table. Anyone is most welcome to look after the table.

Nothing to report.

VA3ODG D-STAR repeater has been off line for a few days. Unfortunately, both Rick (VE3CVG) and Ying (VA3YH), the 2 sysops, were away at the same time and coincidentally a failure ocurred.

Grid Expedition:
Ken (VA3KA) is receiving QSL cards from other hams who chase grid squares. Many incoming QSLs include money. Ken is proceeding to return/reply with Club QSLs.

2304 MHz Transverter conversion project:
Bert (VE2ZAZ) advises that the Harris drawers will get delivered to him by Robert VE2ASL on the weekend of Carp hamfest (September 7th). The project will thus become active at the October meeting.

Net controllers are needed for the next 6 weeks to staff this net. Glenn (VE3XRA) is currently away and Rick is away. Bert (VE2ZAZ) and Clayton (VE3IRR) will fill in when able. Anybody is welcome to host the net.

Clayton (VE3IRR) gave us a primer on the GNU-Radio software and discussed the various SDR radios available on the market today.

The President, Clayton (VE3IRR) stated that there being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 22h05.