The meeting was held in the Kanata room at Sobey's in Kanata.

The following members were present:

NameCall SignPositionMH GridRACWCARC
Al PenneyVO1NO/VE3PresidentFN24cwYesYes
Doug LeachVE3XKVice PresidentFN15wgYesYes
Ken AsmusVA3KATreasurerFN15wgYesYes
Barney BakerVA3BGBSecretaryFN25aiYesYes
Tom ZinckVA3NFAFN25bhYesYes
Rick BandlaVE3CVGFN25hmYesYes
Dean DenterVA3CDDFN15wlYesYes
Harold HamiltonVA3UNKFN25YesYes
Dale HennigarVE3XZTFN15wfYesYes
John ChristensenVE3IAOFN15YesYes
Graham IdeVE3BYTFN25chYesYes
Steve AttfieldVA3SAXFN25bhYesYes
Valentin DorogaVA3WOGuest

Al, VO1NO/VE3, called the meeting to order at 19:30 hrs.

Ken, VA3KA, provided the treasurers report that all was well and that this room at Sobey's was booked for March and noted that the meeting for April would be on the 1st of April. Rick offered to ensure that the room was booked for the April meeting. Ken stated that there was at present 27 members of which 18 were paid up.

Barney, VA3BGB, motioned that the minutes of the 2 Jan 08 meeting be accepted as published. Tom, VA3NFA asked for clarification of the $1200.00 expense for the 70cm beacon. With that amendment Graham seconded the motion and the motion was passed.

Beacon Report

Doug, VE3XK provided a detailed explanation of the beacon project with the placement of the components in the enclosure which was in full view. He also provided his analysis of the components showing the calibration to the 4th harmonic which met all specifications. Doug mentioned he would be ordering some of the remaining equipment very soon and expected that the 70cm beacon would be in operation by June 2008.

June Expedition

Al, VO1NO/VE3 has sent a letter to Mr. & Mrs. Armstrong regarding the use of their property for that expedition; the club has not received a response. Therefore Al and Doug will scout a few other locations, one being near Grafton.

The expedition plan would be to travel and set up on the Friday, operate through Sunday with tear down and return on the Monday. While the club may assisted with some expenses it was hoped that members would provide the primary resources.

Rick, VE3CVG stated he would be going to Algonquin Park location to provide that grid.


Doug, VE3XK provided a brief report on the development of a club constitution. Doug and Dean, VA3CDD will continue that development. A short discussion ensued regarding what would constitute a quorum.

Balloon Project

Graham, VE3BYT, reported on a balloon project. Graham passed around a sheet for information and requested interested members to indicate to him their interest to participate. Tom VA3NFA suggested that the club might co-ordinate with the Montessori school balloon project. Graham will inquire if they are interested in our participation.


Rick, VE3CVG described the resolution of several issues with the network. He described the use of a dongle to access the D-STAR network through the internet which is sold through HRO for approximately $200.00.

Another piece of Software has been created by a ham in Czechoslovakia; it connects a sound card to a modified radio to enable a D-STAR connection through the internet.

Rick made note that a synergy is occurring where hams are developing interesting arrangements to benefit from the D-STAR network.

Ken, VA3KA noted that the numbers of D-STAR registered members has increased significantly and that the new gateway design (G2) will permit a dynamic IP address.


Dale, VE3XZT stated that the repeater requires a new controller on the VHF side and that he will investigate alternatives. Dale will also discuss with Manfred the donation of a 222 repeater which Manfred offered some time ago.


Rick, VE3CVG has provided an invoice to Ken from Mondenet to cover the cost of hosting the club website for the next period. Rick will continue updating the website as soon as possible.


Al, VO1NO/VE3 provided a brief summary of the results of the latest VHF contest where everyone agreed that propagation during that time was very poor.

Discussion ensued regarding a number of changes that have been made for future contests and Al provided some insight into some contests, the Ski Marathon, the Iroquois flea market among others.

New Business

Rick, VE3CVG made the motion that in the interim period prior to the approval of the constitution that "In matters of expenditures exceeding $200.00, requests for funds shall be tabled and discussed at a regular club meeting, shall be described in the club minutes, and shall be voted on and approved or denied at a following club meeting. The intent being to allow all members an opportunity to vote on significant club expenses or purchases."

Seconded by Steve VA3SAX and following discussion the motion was approved.

Tom, VA3NFA suggested that a contingency fund be established to cover any unexpected expenses. Discussion generally concurred.

Rick, VE3CVG suggested that presidents should once a year create a summary which could be used on the website to provide the club history and progress. Discussion concurred.

Ken, VA3KA took an action to prepare the paperwork to pay the appropriate charges acquiring RAC insurance to cover all club members.

Special Presentation

Frequency Division Multiplex Digital Voice (FDMDV)

Dale, VA3XZT and Ken VA3KA provide a briefing and full demonstration of this capability. A great deal of discussion ensued with them answering many questions. Many members were impressed with the capability as well as the seeming simplicity of this equipment.

Rick, VE3CVG motioned that the meeting be adjourned. Seconded by Dean, VA3CDD the motion was passed at 21:25 hrs.

Barney Baker - VA3BGB